This morning I went on a walking tour of the Marais area. This is a district that is located on the Right bank. It has a rich history as much of the court of the royalty lived in this area. It's also where the Jewish population seems to be concentrated. I was here briefly yesterday when I had my Falafel, and from my brief encounter then, I knew I was going to love it. I met up with the walking tour at 10:30. I am definitely glad that I did a guided tour as I learned way more than I would have if I had just done it on my own.
If I ever were to move to Paris (not going to happen... love it here but I couldn't leave my parents or nephews!) I would most definitely live in the Marais. It is how I imagined Paris looking. Lots of narrow streets lined with 16th-17th century buildings. You can't walk very far without running into a Boulangerie or Patisserie, there are outdoor cafes everywhere, and lots of neat little shops to pop in & out of. Of course, this 'chic-ness' comes with a hefty price tag. It is a really neat area, though, and is by far my favorite area of Paris that I have seen.
On our walking tour, the guide took us by a bookstore that sells books in English. Being the booklover that I am, I had to go back to check it out after the tour. The lady who owns it is originally from Canada and has lived here for 18 years!! I picked out a few books to purchase (I just couldn't resist!!) and she chatted with me about what it is like to own a business in France. The French are infamous for their bureaucratic ways - especially when it comes to employment. In my World Econ class this spring, we talked quite a bit about the rigidity of labor markets in Europe, and France definitely has one of the most rigid ones in Europe. The owner said that every time she hires someone, she has to work with her lawyer to complete all of the necessary legal paperwork. Talk about a hassle. Last night, Anna spoke about how hard it is to find a job here; I can understand why if the business owner needs to work w/ a lawyer everything they hire someone!! It's times like this that I appreciate the simplicity of America's Labor markets!
On our walking tour, the guide took us by a bookstore that sells books in English. Being the booklover that I am, I had to go back to check it out after the tour. The lady who owns it is originally from Canada and has lived here for 18 years!! I picked out a few books to purchase (I just couldn't resist!!) and she chatted with me about what it is like to own a business in France. The French are infamous for their bureaucratic ways - especially when it comes to employment. In my World Econ class this spring, we talked quite a bit about the rigidity of labor markets in Europe, and France definitely has one of the most rigid ones in Europe. The owner said that every time she hires someone, she has to work with her lawyer to complete all of the necessary legal paperwork. Talk about a hassle. Last night, Anna spoke about how hard it is to find a job here; I can understand why if the business owner needs to work w/ a lawyer everything they hire someone!! It's times like this that I appreciate the simplicity of America's Labor markets!
I've kind of had a busy couple of days so have decided to spend my afternoon here, reading one of my new books, and basking in the sun. I figure with all the running around I've done, today is a good day to relax. This evening I plan on checking out the Montmatre Area & going to the 10 pm Mass at Sacre Couer. Today is Fete de la Musique, and that gets started off around 6-7 so I am really excited to see what sort of music I encounter!
I depart for Lyon tomorrow, so today is my last day of real 'vacation' time. I have no idea what to expect for a work load for my classes in Lyon. 2 years ago it was fairly lax & a student complained about it being too easy - so last year they made it ridiculously intense! So hopefully this year they don't make it too intense as I feel one of the most important aspects of studying abroad is to take in the culture of the city you are visiting. So we'll see what happens. I have no idea how easy it will be to have WiFi in Lyon. We are definitely spoiled to have such easy, free access to it in the States! So hopefully the library or school has wireless access.... we'll see!
Au Revoir from Paris!
I depart for Lyon tomorrow, so today is my last day of real 'vacation' time. I have no idea what to expect for a work load for my classes in Lyon. 2 years ago it was fairly lax & a student complained about it being too easy - so last year they made it ridiculously intense! So hopefully this year they don't make it too intense as I feel one of the most important aspects of studying abroad is to take in the culture of the city you are visiting. So we'll see what happens. I have no idea how easy it will be to have WiFi in Lyon. We are definitely spoiled to have such easy, free access to it in the States! So hopefully the library or school has wireless access.... we'll see!
Au Revoir from Paris!
2 comments:
Hi Lisa - great blog! Post some pictures in this section =)
Bonjour Lisa,
I'm loving your blog, feels like I'm back in Paris.
Very proud of you, you are exploring everything by yourself...It's so unusual to see you and Anna together on the picture, I'm glad you liked the restaurant =), since you stayed up so late...
So where are you going next? Do you have anything planned in Lyon?
Talk to you later,
Yulia
Post a Comment