After walking around the ET area, I made my way up to the Trocadero area which also had wonderful views of the ET. I found someone to take my picture!
After that, I went to find a patisserie that allegedly has some of the best macarons in Paris. I have to agree. These were so delicious, I think they are the best I have has so far. The cream one is vanilla and the brown one is caramel with a brown butter filling. The caramel one was TO DIE FOR. I would actually say these are better than Laduree's, which is probably the most famous macaron shop.
After that I took the metro back to the St. Germaine area as I wanted to wander around some of the areas we went to on the walking tour. I had worked up an appetite at this point so the first order of business was finding a place for lunch. I saw a waiter deliver a roasted chicken plate to a guest and was totally sold on the place. It tasted even better than it looked! It was such a simple meal but done so well!!
One of my favorite things to do while traveling in Europe is check out their food markets. I really appreciate their approach to shopping and cooking as they tend to buy less on each shopping trip but shop more often. I know that is not practical for everyone but I think its a great approach to cooking. This market was small, but still had a nice selection of seafood, cheese and other items like foie gras - which I personally do not like AT ALL. And I can say that because I have in fact tried it!
After all that walking, I took a break, had some tea and did more reading. I had an early dinner and then went to mass at Notre Dame and went to a Christmas concert at St. Chapelle, which is a famous church known for its stained glass windows. I have been to a concert here before so was glad I was able to go to another on this trip. The setting is beautiful. My only complaint is that the building is not heated. Burr! But it was still a fun experience and the music was beautiful!!
Tomorrow is my last full day in Paris. I fly out Monday but will spend most of the day traveling. I plan to take a walking tour of the Montmartre area and walk around the Marais area, but don't have much planned besides that. I know I will have no trouble filling my day, though!
14 comments:
It sounds like a wonderful trip and although you say you're taking things easy, you're certainly seeing a lot! Reading of you enjoying the cafes and macarons is making me a little wistful I didn't spend more time in Paris.
Yum yum yum!!!!! I'm glad you made it to mass, I love going in any language :)
Sounds like a wonderful day!! We are hoping to go back to Paris for Christmas one day, I think it would be such a magical place to be this time of year - I hope it's putting you in the Christmas spirit!
Enjoy your last day tomorrow!
That was a grand day, and I am glad you took in so many wonderful things! The picture of you is awesome - love the coat! We are enjoying your blog! Have a great day tomorrow! Love from Dad and Mom!
I am SERIOUSLY jealous of all your macaroon-eating.
You don't like foie gras?!?! I'm not sure we can be friends anymore! :) It's one of my favorites, and when I was in Paris my number 1 priority was to find a restaurant where I could have some.
We have a bunch of little macaron shops around here and every time I see them, I think of you! And I've never had a macaron in my life. HA. Must try one soon!
Your day sounds magnificent and I am so happy you were able to visit Paris once again. That photo of you in front of the ET is AMAZING!
Oh my goodness...I can't even fathom how incredible it was to attend mass and see that concert! Ahhh...
I like your zoomed in pictures of parts of the eifle tower! Shows how massive it is!
It looks beautiful this time of year! i love your outfit, by the way!!
I love the picture of you in front o the Eiffel Tower! Such a great photo and of course you always have on stylish coats!
I have never been to Europe at Christmastime but sometime I would love to go (maybe when I retire), I imagine the decorations would make it even more amazing!
How I would LOVE to hear a Christmas concert at La Chappele. Your day sounds wonderful, discovering neighborhoods -- and that chicken! Bet there is something in Julia like that and you should give it a go!
Your photos are fabulous and I suspect only a few. You should make a shutterfly book with all those -- you'd treasure it forever!
All those macarons are making me hungry! Glad you were able to do a macron crawl and hit up all the great macaron shops.
I love going to local markets in new cities/countries. It really gives you a local feel of a place. I really enjoyed the spice market in Turkey, which not only had spices, but also fruits, nuts, candy etc... it was awesome. It looks like the one you went to had some great stuff!
That chicken dish looks outstanding, as do those macaroons! I totally agree with you re. how Europeans shop for food. I would also add that because they shop more frequently, the stores do not sell produce (in particular) in such large, pre-packaged quantities as they do in the States. There, you buy as many brussel sprouts as you need, not the 20 they give you in the mesh bag. I like that approach so much better!
Checking out local markets is my favorite thing to do when traveling as well. I've never been to Europe but I'm more and more inspired by your travels to start a travel budget. We tend to hop around the midwest often but I'd love to spend a little more and do a bigger trip to somewhere brand new. Thank you for sharing all your travel adventures- so much fun!!
Post a Comment