Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 3: Notre Dame and the Right Bank of the Seine

Another day is coming to a close, and I am finding that this trip is going entirely too fast!!

I started my day off with a cafe creme and some reading in a coffee shop close to Notre Dame.  Even though my natural inclination is to 'go, go, go' I am trying to force myself to take it someone easier on this trip so I don't come back too exhausted!


After reading for a bit, I headed over to the grounds of the Notre Dame. While the interior of this church is obviously very beautiful, I also love the surrounding grounds.


There is a park area in front of the church with lots of trees and benches to sit in. I think Paris does a great job of providing lots of outdoor spaces with ample benches and chairs, which I think is really cool.

There was a bit of a line to go into the church so I decided to delay that until later in the day and instead headed over to the right bank of the Seine for a walk to the Tuilleries/Louvre area. You can just barely see the Eiffel Tower off in the distance in this picture. I have not seen it up close yet but plan to tomorrow!


After my long walk, I had worked up an appetite so treated myself to some mussels at a restaurant on Champs Élysées, which were delicious!



After lunch, I walked back to Angelina's, which is a cafe I discovered on my last trip to Paris. They have this incredibly decadent hot cocoa.  It's definitely rich, but so good!


In addition to the hot cocoa, I also had some macarons that I had picked up at Laduree on the Champs Élysées.  You know, since there wasn't enough sugar in the hot cocoa. ;)

After putting myself into a sugar coma, I headed back to the Notre Dame so I could look around at the interior. It is the largest church in Paris and is so beautiful! I wandered around for awhile and then stopped for a bit to light a candle and pray for some intentions, both for myself and others.


I had been gone for quite awhile at this point so went back to my apartment so I could use the wifi connection to so some research and plan out my last 2 days in Paris. Then it was off to my favorite Gallette place that I found on my last trip to Paris. Luckily I am able to eat gallettes as they are make with buckwheat flour, which is gluten free. I really want to learn how to make these as they are so good! The one I ordered had onions, mushrooms, ham, and an egg and it was so good!



Now I am back in my apartment figuring out my agenda for tomorrow which will include seeing the Eiffel Tour up close, attending mass at Notre Dame, and going to a Christmas concert at St. Chapelle, which is a beautiful church!

Au revoir for now!

8 comments:

Becky said...

I love that you're doing so much but at such a nice, relaxed pace! And I agree, your trip seems to be flying by!

Amber said...

Another great day -- I'm glad your fitting in some relaxation. That is so important for you this trip especially after the year you have had - good to find some time to chill out and recharge :)

K @ TS said...

It sounds like another great day! I love Notre Dame, both inside and out! I also really love the Montmarte area and the Sacre Coeur. They are such beautiful buildings.

Anonymous said...

I am loving this! Finally found some quiet time to read your blog and can't wait to hear all the details! We miss you being here but know you are enjoying this well earned vacation!

Shoshanah said...

I remember Angelina's from the last time you posted about it! That hot chocolate looks so delicious, and I know the next time I'm in Paris will need to make a point to make it there!

Jeanie said...

That galette looks to die for! Yes, you DO need to learn that recipe!

I like your idea of not pushing. I think it's easy to do that when we come so far and it's not that easy to go back, but then we return exhausted. This makes tons of sense. I'll bet Notre Dame looked great with the renovations! Oh, I love these posts, Lisa, and I'm so glad you had a terrific time!

Jen Feeny said...

*Swoon* *le sigh* The park at Notre Dame is so beautiful! Glad you got to enjoy some quiet time.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I don't eat mussels all that often, but they are one of my favorite meals. Before Thanksgiving, a girlfriend and I went out to eat and shared a dish of mussels in white wine sauce. Yummmm!