My last day in Paris was a great one. I started off the day with a walking tour of Paris. I have done about 6 tours by the company 'Paris Walks' and they never disappoint. We spent over 2 hours walking through the Montmatre area, which is a northern quartier of Paris that is known for many things from art to its entertainment district (the famous Moulin Rouge is found there) as well as the famous Sacre Couer cathedral.
One neat thing we saw along the way was a mural that was recently done. The artist had people from all around the world write down the phrase 'I love you' in their own language. He collected the phrase in over 300 languages and when it came time to make the mural, he used the writing of each person who wrote the phrase down, which I think is really cool! Can you spot 'I love you' in English in this photo?
We would around this hilly quartier, learning a lot about the artists that lived in this area, such as Van Gogh and Renoir. Most of these artists were very poor and only because famous posthumously. Like much of Paris, this area had lots of narrow winding rows. You can see Sacre Couer peeking through in this photo.
The tour ended in front of Sacre Couer. I attended mass here on my first trip to Paris - it is a really beautiful cathedral and is kind of an architectural marvel as it's built on a hill that is not very sturdy!
I took the metro back to the central part of Paris so I could have lunch and walk around the Marais, which is one of my favorite areas of Paris. I wailed along the Seine for part of the way. It was another beautiful day. I have definitely lucked out in terms of weather as it's been in the 40s and hasn't rained!
I found a little brasserie that served a dish called 'aligot' which I had read about last month. It's basically mashed potatoes with a special French cheese whipped into them. Talk about the ultimate comfort food! It was served with a little fresh salad and really hit the spot. I saved room for dessert, though, as I had one last famous macaron shop to check out called 'Pierre Herme'. They had a large selection of macarons and definitely win the award for most 'unique' flavors. Some of the macarons at the top are their seasonal flavors and have foie de gras in them. I know that is a delicassie but can I just say GROSS? Yes, ALL CAPS.
The verdict? These were good but my favorite ones from this trip are the ones from Carette, followed by Laduree. Which makes Pierre Herme a close 3rd. I definitely could write an article on what makes a good macaron after this trip!!
I headed back to my neighborhood for some hot tea and reading and now I am packing and getting ready to head out for one last dinner in Paris. *sob* Like I said in my intro, I am not excited to go back. I know vacations are not reality, but Paris feels more like home than Charlotte does or ever will. That said, this trip away has been good for me and was definitely a great reward for both passing the CFA and surviving the Charlotte move!
I have a long day of travel tomorrow, get back around 8:30 pm and have to work the next day so I will be diving right back into reality. I am sure I will post some final thoughts on this blog before leaving it dormant until my next trip! Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!
11 comments:
What a fabulous trip you've had - so glad you got to blog it while you were there! Have safe travels coming back - and maybe sneak in another macaroon or two?
I know what I said it my last comment, but even I'm not sure I could eat a foie gras macaron!
Ditto to Becky -- so glad you blogged while you were away. It looks like it was an amazing trip even though it was definitely too short. It's clear that Paris holds a very very special place in your heart and I know you'd be back soon.
I actually would like you to write a blog post about what makes a good macaron. I have to admit they are not my FAVOURITE form of dessert (though I do enjoy them occasionally) but I would be curious to hear your opinion being such a macaron connoisseur :-)
Those macaroons are to die for! Wish I could make them like that! Mmm Mmm! Can't wait to review the trip with you in person at Christmas!
I'm reading this backwards...just FYI....
Everything looks so beautiful there. I hope we can make it to France next fall for our 5 year!
Ew. Foie gras macaroon?! What?! Gross!!
I would also like to hear about what makes a good macaron haha. You should start a travel blog about searching for the best macarons everywhere you go ha ha. Or maybe write a book!
Now that I've read these posts I want to plan a trip or go on a walking tour. Is that an option? No, because I have to go to work. Darn lol.
I love hearing your descriptions! Especially of the macarons. I can't have enough. Even though I'm reading this now, I'm glad you blogged your trip so I could tag along to one of my favorite spots in the world.
Isn't Montmartre fascinating? Peter took us there and like your guide, knew all the tidbits. And I love the Marais. Oh, Lisa -- love it all! So glad you could give yourself this gift!
Yes, you are becoming quite the macaroon connnoisseur! :)
I love fois gras, but I am not sure I would like a macaron like that. There is a town nearby here that is the "garlic capital of the world" and they have a festival with garlic ice cream and other savory things. I have heard that it is okay, and worth trying once, but otherwise nothing to write home about.
I loved the vanilla and caramel macarons the best of all the ones I had there. (And I also had a lot)
When we were visiting Sacre we saw someone go chasing after a pick pocket and I felt terrible for them. Some sketchy guys tried to give us a hard time, but we hauled ass away from them, knowing no good would come of it.
It looks like you had such a wonderful trip!!!!
I just love that you are eager to immerse yourself in a city. Sure, there are always interesting (and sometimes famous) places to see, but the real meat of travel comes with getting to know a city like the locals know it. And it seems like you try to balance your trips with a little of both!
Post a Comment