Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 7: Palace of Versailles

Bonsoir! I spent the bulk of today at the Palace of Versailles. The oppulence of this place just blew my mind away. King Louis the XIV spent a whole lot of money on this get away in the country (it's about 21 km outside of Paris). Here's the view of Versailles as I approached it.



It was really cool to walk through the grand apartments and see where the Kings and Queens of France lived. My favorite room was the famous "Hall of Mirrors". I loved all the chandaliers - so gorgeous!



The views of the gardens from the various apartments were great, too.



This was quite the place to live! Although, I don't know how "comfortable" it would be to live here since it's just, well, SO grand... It was interesting to see that they had billiard tables, though. I don't know nothing about the history of that sport but I guess I was surprised that it was something the royalty did?

After touring the apartments I headed outside to check out the gardens. The gardens were MASSIVE!


I would love to come back here in the spring or summer when everything is in bloom. It was fun to walk around, though, and the gardens are beautiful even during winter! It's so odd to me that everything is so green over here - back home, everything is covered in snow!


I kept thinking about how this whole area is considerably larger than the area of land that my hometown in North Dakota occupies. It seriously took me about 20-30 minutes just to walk to the middle of the gardens!

I also toured Marie Antoinette's apartment but I do not have any photos of this. I kind of got to a point where I OD'd on taking photos...

I got back to my apartment and rested a bit before heading out for dinner. Tonight I went to a place that had a set menu where you could choose an appetizer, main dish, and dessert. Interestingly, appetizers are called entrees over here. I think maybe because entree means enter, and an appetizer is how you 'enter' the meal? I don't have any pictures, but I tried something new tonight... I had rabbit for the first time. My friend Nora's mom had told me that I should try this while I was in Paris. It was actually really good! It was in a mustard sauce. I had mussels for my appetizer and creme brulee for dessert. Yum. That sounds like a lot of food, but the portions were small.

Tomorrow is my last full day in Paris. This vacation went by WAY too fast. Usually, but the end of a vacation, I am anxious to get home and return to my usual schedule. I really don't feel that way this time, though... A large part of that probably has to do with the fact that I took this week off from studying for the CFA (which has totally consumed my life) - so knowing that I have lots of studying to return to is not all that appealing...

Tomorrow my plan is to go for one final run in the mroning, head to the Eiffel Tower area, and then do a guided walking tour of the Latin Quarter. I'll cap off the day with mass at Notre Dame and one final meal out, which will probably be a gallette. Oh how I j'adore gallettes. :) They aren't gourmet or anything but that's probably my favorite thing that I've eaten here!

Au revoir - I am off to do more reading. I'm on book #4 of my vacation!

18 comments:

Marlys said...

Wow, that trip did go fast! I'll miss your blogs so much, but it will be good to have you back on US of A soil! That mansion and garden looked so huge that it's hard to imagine living like that! I'm sure it costs lots of money to keep it maintained, too! You have seen so much but I'm sure you could spend another month in France with all that there still is to see! You've done an amazing job of writing and posting pictures! Miss you!

Becky said...

Haha, how you "enter" a meal - I hope that's true, that'd be awesome! This trip has flown by but my oh my how amazing it's been - and I haven't even been there! Soak up your last day in Paris!

crystal said...

Ahh, I love Versailles! I agree with your comment on it not being comfortable though, I couldn't imagine living there, especially under the circumstances of the time.
That did go fast, wow! Well enjoy every last minute of it!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

It is amazing that it's so green over there- what is the temp like?

So impressed that you are on book 4 of the vacation. I'm going to be happy with myself if I get through 2 next week. I wish I could be a faster reader. Part of my problem is I can't read on planes or any form of transportation. I could probably read a whole book on the flight tomorrow if only!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Nice work on the book reading! I can't even read one book a month. Ha! Sounds like a perfect final day in Paris you're going to have.

qwerkyqook said...

The fog is so pretty. It looks just like the movies! Rabbit, wow. I'd love to try that sometime. You should totally have a gallette tomorrow. In fact, have two. I bet they'll let you bring that through security ;) I was just reading about a french flatbread called socca, made from garbanzo flour. I guess they are popular in nice. I might just have to try it!

Stephany said...

I can't believe your trip is almost over! It has been so much fun following you through this blog. :)

Pictures are awesome!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Wow, you have done a TON of reading while on vacation! :)
Versailles sounds so interesting! I cannot believe how big it is! I would love to see it someday. Hopefully, I do! :)
I bet a week did go fast, I have no doubt you will be back to Paris again someday. :)

K @ TS said...

It looks like you had fun!

That's a lot of books! Vacation is great, isn't it?

What book are you reading?

Unknown said...

Looking at Versailles, one can better understand the French Revolution?

Hope you enjoyed your last day and also hope your books last through your flights home.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your trip - it's been my mini vaca to read everyday!

Cousin Julie

Oh said...

You HAVE to come back to STL for a visit and so we can talk talk talk about France and look at every single picture you took. I am so glad you got to Versailles AND that you tried rabbit!

Travel safe and looking forward to some major France blogs!

Shoshanah said...

I can't believe how few people are in your photos of Versailles. Was it really that empty or did you just do a good job of not including people in your photos? Although it makes sense that it was less crowed than I remember, since I was there in June, which I'm sure is a much busier season.

And I love your photos of the hall of mirrors. When we were there it was being restored, so I didn't get to see it in it's full glory. I really feel like I need to go back some day to capture the full experience!

Erin said...

I love the pictures from Versailles!!! Jason REALLY wanted to visit there--but we just didn't have time on our trip! It's definitely on our list for the next one!!! I've REALLY enjoyed reading all of your posts :) I'm finally getting to look at all of the pictures today :)

Amber said...

LOVE!

I loved Versailles - it was one of my favourite places that we visited. So grand and amazing! I loved walking through the gardens and even though it was SUPER busy when we went (because it was a Saturday) it was really cool to see all the fountains turned on!

Your trip went by SO quickly, but I have a very good feeling you'll be back to Paris one day :)

Hope you enjoyed your last day! XO

Cherry Blossoms said...

Oh my gosh, I would l have loved the chandelier room! I'm glad you were able to go see it and explore new things on this trip.
The meal sounds really, really good. I have tried rabbit at our French restaurant and I agree its really good!

Jeanie said...

Oh, Lisa, this is a spot I didn't get to visit and it's fascinating to hear about. Yes, next time...

And the food -- delicious sounding!

Raquelita said...

I'm so jealous! The Hall of Mirrors was closed for upkeep when I was there in 2005. I really want to go back to Paris and was just saying so to my hubs last night.