Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 3: Happy Valentine's Day!

Bonjour & Happy Valentine's Day!! Even though I seem to be perpetually single on this holiday, I still really do love it. As a lover of all things pink, how can't I?

I started the day by going for a run along the Seine. What a beautiful place to run. I would never get sick of running next to this river! I ran to the Pont de Neuf and asked someone to take my picture. That's my first siting of the Eiffel Tower, by the way - I haven't made it that far down the Seine yet!



After my run, I had breakfast in my apartment and then took the metro to the Tuileries station. I booked my tour of the Beaches of Normandy on Wednesday and then headed to Angelina's to treat myself to some chocolate. It is Valentine's Day, afterall!

Last time I was in Paris, I wanted to go to Angelina's, which is known for its hot chocolate, but it was like 90 degrees on that trip and hot cocoa just did not sound appealing! I am glad I returned to Paris so I can try this delicassie! Yes, it is known as being a touristy location, but hello - I am a tourist!

I ordered 2 of their signature items - a hot chocolate and the mont blanc. Good thing I went for that run today. ;)

This is the richest, most decadent hot chocolate I have ever had. They bring you a little pitcher of melted chocolate and a side of home-made whipped cream. Then you mix them yourself!



Oh my gosh, it was so good! The mont blanc is GF so I had to try that as well! It's a meringue, topped with whipped cream, topped with a chestnut paste. So good!


This was a rich treat! I am not going to feel guilty about the calories because I have done so much walking, I am sure I am burning them off. I drank all of the hot chocolate but could only finish 1/2 of the mont blanc. That's a whole lot of sugar for one sitting! Angelina's is a beautiful little cafe, though, so it was a really charming place to enjoy this delicious treat!

After that, I walked through the jardin des tuileries towards the Louvre.



I have not been inside the Lourve and I don't know that I will go inside on this trip either... There are 35,000 exhibits in the Louvre and that just sounds overwhelming to me. I do better with smaller museums, like d'Orsay... I am sure I'll make it inside some day, I just don't know if I have it in me this trip! I do love the courtyard of the Louve, though!




When I took that walking tour on Saturday, the guide said that the pyramid in the courtyard is very controversial. Apparently some people think it was inappropriate to place such a modern structure in such a historical area. I personally like the juxtaposition of the new v. the old - and the pyramid is visually appealing in my opinion!

I crossed over the left bank of the Seine and walked through the St. Germain des Pres area, which is another charming area of Paris. EventuallyI came upon Pont des Arts.



For any Sex and the City fans, this is the bridge where Big tells Carrie, "you're the one". This is the bridge where lovers bring a lock, attach it to the bridge, and throw the key in the water. I read an article that said the city of Paris is not a fan of this tradition and plans to cut the locks off the bridge at some point. That article was written last May, though, and there are still locks on the bridge...



I continued walking along the Seine. I was in search of the bookstore, Shakespeare and Co! I had a generally idea of where it was and luckily, I stumbled right upon it!



This is a famous bookstore full of books written in english. Hemingway references this shop quite a bit in A Moveable Feast (which I finished yesterday, by the way). I wandered around the bookstore - which has both new and used books. They had a fantastic section on the history of Paris. I was tempted to purchase a book (multiple books, actually), but resisted as I figure my suitcase is heavy enough as is!

After wandering around the bookstore, I sat on the bench outside and gazed up on the Notre Dame - what a site to behold!! At that point, all the walking of the past couple of days seemed to catch up with me and I decided to take the metro home.

Now I am back in my cozy apartment where I plan on relaxing for the rest of the day. I'll probably have a meal of cheese, olive, and crackers and maybe some Paella tonight. I imagine the cafes will be quite crowded tonight so I think it's a good night to eat in!

So another wonderful day in Paris. I am so glad I took this trip - it's really the perfect way for me to celebrate my 30th birthday. The city is even more beautiful and enchanting that I remember it being. I know solo travel seems odd and unappealing to some, but I really am enjoying my time here on my own. I really am not the least bit lonely! So far, I've made conversations in English with someone each day. Today, I spoke to a couple from the British Columbia province of Canada - I had been to BC in October so it was fun to talk to them about that. They were probably in their 60s and were just finishing a 1 month stay in Paris! My point is - I really don't feel alone here. It's pretty easy to spot other Canadian/US travelers and I am not too shy to initiate a conversation if I feel like talking!

This morning I was thinking about how I do look forward to a day when I can share this city with a boyfriend or a husband. For now, though , I am thankful for the strength I had to walk away from relationships that were not right for me. In these last 30 years, I have learned that there are far, far worse things than being single!


Love After Love

The time will come when,
with elation

you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.

You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.

Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

~ Derek Walcott

23 comments:

Cherry Blossoms said...

oh my goodness that hot chocolate and dessert looked so good! Glad you are having a wonderful Pink and Red day!!

PS: You would like the Louvre. I am not one for museums but it was neat to see Mona Lisa :) We went at night so we felt as if we had the museum to ourselves. We obv did not see it all but while we were there it was neat to see painting I had studied back in high school and for not liking museums I did enjoy it.

Amber said...

Oh your day sounds just fabulous!!

I ADORED the Louvre, I have to say even if you just go in and wander through the paintings area (by the Mona Lisa) it's truly fascinating to see the huge, amazing paintings they have in there! I second Heidi's comment that you should check it out and just go KNOWING you won't see it all and enjoy yourself :D Plus it's cool to see the Mona Lisa!!

That hot chocolate looks AMAZING! Omg!! I wish I'd known about that place when we were there - it would be perfect for a chocolate fiend like me!

I'm so glad you had such a nice day wandering around and that you are loving your trip so far!! A night in tonight with olives/cheese/wine and reading sounds pretty darn fantastic if you ask me!

Can't wait for the next recap. I am too impatient to wait for Google Reader to grab them so I just keep checking back to your blog :D

Amber said...

PS: I'm so excited you met a couple from B.C.!!! Where were they from???

Leigh said...

It looks like you are having a fabulous trip Lisa! I love following along :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I completely understand traveling alone. Many of my friends are not as interested in traveling the world as I am (shocking, I know) so I know if I don't meet someone soon I will do a lot of things alone as well.
Thank goodness you're documenting everything because I know very little about Paris and I am learning quite a bit! Thank you! :)

meents said...

Wow Lisa, this is such an amazing trip! I feel like we are almost right there with you. The food looks soooo good, and your apartment must be so nice to come back to after a day of walking. Sounds like you're having a great time!

p.s. Stella misses you :)

Abby said...

I am so happy to read this and see how fun, rich, and incredible this trips been for you!!!

It looks so beautiful there! I've never seen such historic buildings (I've never been outside North America either....)

I am so happy for you - and that excerpt at the end of your post was perfect

Nora said...

AHH! The Hot chocolate looks amazing. I'm so glad you treated yourself. (Also, calories do not count in a foreign country. At least so far as I'm concerned!)

I remember learning about the Louvre and the controversy over the pyramid in the courtyard in college. Got to love the French, n'est pas?

my mom is going to be thrilled that you found the bookstore. I think you must treat yourself to one, especially since they stamp the books!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow, that hot chocolate looks amazing- I totally agree with you about "touristy" things- we are tourists! haha.

I love that you took this trip by yourself. Some people are just comfortable being by themselves and some people are not so that's why some people just can't understand. I've done a little traveling alone and sometimes I think it's a lot better- no one else to worry about but me haha.

Also agree with others that you should go in the Louvre. It's very amazing instead and it's okay not to see it all.

Stephany said...

Your trip realllly makes me want to travel solo someday! It sounds perfect for a girl like me, who cherishes her alone time. :)

That hot chocolate looks amazing!! Yum, yum. (Also, I second Nora's comment that calories don't matter in foreign countries. ;))

qwerkyqook said...

chestnut paste! holy yum. I'm impressed you've found so many GF treats. Your day seriously sounded fantastic. Run in paris, chocolate, sight seeing, reflecting while staring at nortre dame, relaxing with cheese and olives. ahhhhh. SO incredibly jealous.

Oh said...

Lisa! My mouth is watering over that hot chocolate and please pass the Mont Blanc - I know I can finish it! OMG, how gorgeous and if it tastes even HALF as good as it looks (and I know it does), well...!

I didn't know about the locks on the bridge (very romantic, BUT...leave it to the French to find it a bit, "deguelasse." )


This entry is so wonderful. Ah, the Tuileries AND you found Shakespeare! (altho' its the "new" incarnation. The old one (authentic) is on Rue de L'Odeon, I think. You have shown such discipline in not buying books - yes, that would be rough to pack and bring home.

How's the apartment? Is it the pink one? And your scarf detective work - any thing particularly "in" in terms of scarves - florals? stripes? solids?

PLease keep us current with food pictures. I can't believe how I even love the dishes at Angelina's!

a bientot!
Oh

crystal said...

That hot chocolate looks absolutely amazing!! The bookstore is adorable too, Im so glad you made it there :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to do such wonderful updates, Lisa! Looks like you had a beautiful day.

Becky said...

I had a hot chocolate like that in Ukraine and it was amazing! I'm jealous of your mont blanc though!

What an amazing experience you're having! I completely believe that you're not lonely! You're doing so much and seeing so many beautiful, amazing things! And anyone who can strike up a conversation with strangers, go for a run on the Seine, and ask someone to take her picture if a confident woman indeed!

Marlys said...

Wow, your blog posts are amazing! I am in awe of all you are seeing and doing, yet finding time to relax, read & reflect! What a perfect vacation you are having and the food looks too good to be true!

Jess said...

So glad you're having an amazing time (as I knew you would!!) and love reading all about it.

There is absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty about what you're eating there. You're in Paris, on holidays and I don't know many people who could resist those treats!!

I love the juxtaposition of the old and new at the Louvre courtyard too. I've never been inside it either, but there was a really wonderful feeling of being outside that place!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

OH MY GOD. THat hot cocoa and meringue thing look amazing. I didn't go into the Louvre when ANnie and I went. I preferred to stay outside and walk around the city and just people watch outside. The size of it just seems too monstrous for me to enjoy. I loved the d'orsay though.

Jeanie said...

What fun. I have gained six pounds just looking at the photos!

I gave the Louvre a pass when I was there in favor of d'Orsay and Carnavalet and Cluny. Just seemed too big...maybe next year!

Jeanie said...

Oops -- hit send before I meant to -- the other thing -- I was looking for Shakespeare & CO. too and found it quite by accident! I think I gasped when I did!

Mandy said...

That hot chocolate and mont blanc sound so incredibly decadent. The bookstore sounds like such a great find.

Shoshanah said...

That hot chocolate looks amazing! I guess when they call it hot chocolate they really do mean exactly that!

K @ TS said...

That hot chocolate looks delicious! Why haven't I heard of this place before?

ps The Louvre is SO BIG. It would take a week to see everything.