Sunday, February 13, 2011

Morning of Day 2: Bastille Food Market

Good afternoon, everyone! I have had another full, fabulous day and the day is not over yet. In an effort to avoid a ridiculously long post, I will break today up into 2 parts!

This morning I headed over to the Bastille food market. I had read about this ahead of time on the tripadvisor.com forum - it was recommended by many as their favorite market in Paris. It definitely lived up to its reputation.

This market is maybe 1/2 a mile from my apartment, so it was very easy to get to. As you approach the Bastille area, this large statue greets you.



It was errected in 1833 as a memorial to those killed in the street battles during the July Revolution of 1830. The tour guide touched on this revolution yesterday, but I can't remember what they were revolting against. The French sure like to revolt - the tour guide said it is obviously still a part of their culture. I say obviously because there were riots last summer or fall when the government changed the retirement age by a year or something like that!

I'm starting to get a little wordy so I will let the pictures do the talking!

I was most impressed/intrigued by all the seafood you could buy at the market! It reminded me of the market in Seattle!







They had quite a few take-away options that were pretty inexpensive in my opinion. I ended up buying some paella and a sausage + fingerling potatoes. I had some of the paella for lunch - I maybe ate 1/2 of it and was full, so it was quite a generous portion for only 5.50 Euro. So for 10 Euro, I got 2 generous take-away portions that will make great lunches this week!




Of course, there was cheese!


I purchased a nice chamembert. I think it was maybe 2 Euro for a pretty generous portion. I had forgotten how cheap cheese and wine are in Paris! I brought some GF crackers with me so will enjoy the cheese this week as a snack.

To accompany the cheese and crackers, I also bought some olives. I had the hardest time choosing which ones to buy, though! I ended up going with some mixed olives.


Of course, there was also fresh produce...



And fresh flowers...



And fresh bread.



Oh my. Being gluten free, I nearly shed a tear when I walked by the bread stands. The baguettes were less than a Euro! What a steal!

Here is what I ended up toting away. Luckily I had planned ahead and brought a reusable Lunds shopping bags!

I always get a little flustered when paying for things as I am always nervous that I won't understand the numbers they are saying... So I didn't really pay attention to how much everything cost in total as I was focused on finding the right coins to give them! But I am going to guesstimate that all of this cost about 20-25 Euro? Not bad for 2 take away items, 3 oranges, 3 avocados, a hunk of chamembert, mixed olives, hummus, and 2 bags of mixed greens!

When I set out, I thought I'd buy a roasted chicken but they were more expensive than the roasted chickens that the local butcher shop sells so I will get one there later this week.

Here's the fun story of the day: Before hitting the market, I stopped by a local cafe for a cafe creme. When I tried to pay, the guy (who was quite handsome) put his hand on his heart, pushed my money back towards me, and said, 'non'. A free coffee! Score Lisa. Frenchman can be so charming. ;) I left him a little tip to thank him for his generosity. When I left he said, "Thanks, darling." Be still my heart.

Why can't American men be charming like this?

Well, this was still a long post- and that was just my morning. I'll be back later with pictures from my walk around the Marais this afternoon.

Time to go put up my feet for awhile before I head to mass at Notre Dame!

12 comments:

Jeanie said...

You can write posts as long as you like and I will simply revel in them! I didn't go to one of these markets -- how I wish I had. Top of the list for next time.

You are so right about how inexpensive some things are -- I loved the wine and cheese (and being a breadie, the baguettes were my favorite!). You took just wonderful photos. I see this is post 2 -- I must read down to post 1!

How fun to live vicariously through your holiday!

Amber said...

LOVE THIS POST.

That market looks incredibly amazing! It totally reminds me of the one in Seattle too! Haha! I wish we had the chance to go there when we were in Paris!

I'm so glad you're having such a fun time already. And getting hit on by a handsome frenchman? Yes please ;)

Can't wait for your recap of mass. I loved the Notre Dame SO MUCH. I could have just sat and stared at it all day long.

Jamie and Missy said...

The market looks amazing, Lisa! I will look forward to hearing about mass @ Notre Dame.

Shoshanah said...

I love the markets in Europe! All the food just looks so delicious! The olives and the baguettes! I'm getting so hungry just looking at all the pictures

Stephany said...

So fun! I agree with Jeanie - make them as long as you want! You know we will read them. :)

crystal said...

That market looks awesome! It looks very similar to Pikes Place...but French, so better! :)

Marlys said...

The market was unbelievable - worth the whole trip to France! I am envious! Your blogs are so interesting - and you're doing a great job of sharing your trip with us! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! It makes me feel like you're not sooo far away!

Marlys said...

And I do have to agree with you - those French men are "too romantic"! I can see why they sweep women off their feet!

qwerkyqook said...

Wow. Those market pics are amazing!! I would go there every day. yum! You should probably bring a frenchman home as a souvenir ;)

Unknown said...

WOW! Those pictures of the market are amazing. The best part is, you have a flat so you can buy food and bring it "home" with you.

I need to go to Paris, just to see that market.

I doubt I would get a free cup of coffee, though!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

awesome pictures! sounds like you are having a blast!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Aw that is so cute about the coffee guy. Looks like you got a great haul. I'd be nervous choosing and making sure I wasn't paying like $20 for 1 lb of food or understanding how much to pay them. Glad you're having a great time!